The American Government course focuses on the United States’ founding principles
and beliefs. Students will study the structure, functions, systems, powers of
government at the national, state, and local levels, and political processes. Content will
include factors that influence U.S. Government. This course prepares students to
become responsible/aware members of American society.
- understand major political ideas and forms of government in history.
- understand how constitutional government, as developed in the United States, has
been influenced by people, ideas, and historical documents.
- understand the roles played by individuals, political parties, interest groups, and the
media in the U.S. political system, past and present.
- understand the American beliefs and principles reflected in the U.S. Constitution.
- understand the structure and functions of the government created by the U.S.
- understand the processes for filling public offices in the U.S. system of government.
- understand the role of political parties in the U.S. system of government.
- understand the similarities and differences that exist among the U.S. system of
government and other political systems.
- understand rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.
- understand the importance of voluntary individual participation in the U.S. democratic
- understand the importance of the expression of different points of view in a
Scope and Sequence:
- Introducing Government in America
- The Constitution
- Civil Liberties and Public Policy
- Civil Rights and Public Policy
- Public Opinion and Political Action
- Political Parties
- Nominations and Campaigns
- Elections and Voting Behavior
- Interest Groups
- The Presidency
- The Congress, the President, and the Budget: Taxing and Spending
- The Federal Bureaucracy
- The Federal Courts
- Economic Policymaking
- Social Welfare Policymaking
- Policymaking for Health Care and the Environment
- National Security Policymaking
- The New Face of State and Local Government
- Introduction Government in Ohio
- The Ohio Constitution
- Political Parties, Campaigns, Elections, and Interest Groups in Ohio
- The Ohio Legislature
- The Governor and Bureaucracy of Ohio
- The Texas Court System
- Local Government