ספר במדבר: The Book of Numbers – Track B
- Sefer Bamidbar – Hebrew with commentaries for classroom use.
- Sefer Bamidbar – Metzudah for out of class use.
- Suppliments are provided by teacher containing Midrashim, Acharonim, Gemara, and Halacha that are pertinent to subject matter.
This Bible study course is track based to allow for appropriate and focused skill development. It allows for an in depth study of the fourth book of the Torah, the Book of Numbers. Emphasis is on mastery of content, focusing mainly on the text, Rashi, and a sampling of early and later commentaries, but depth of analysis is increased. This level delves into more interpretations of text and Rashi than Track A, and there is an expectation of mastery appropriate for a level 2 course. Goals are advanced proficiency in all commentaries to prepare students for intensive seminary studies.
- Gain a command of loshon hakodesh and a profound appreciation of G-d’s Torah and our classic interpreters of the texts.
- Learn middos development and moral and ethical standards as portrayed in the lives of the Patriarchs, Matriarchs, and other Biblical personalities.
- Use the text as a spark to explore the philosophical concepts contained therein and expand the scope and depth of their understanding of תורה השקפה.
- Become comfortable and self-sufficient reading Biblical text, including the ability to:
- develop reading fluency and speed in both print and rashi script.
- expand their vocabulary and understanding of Biblical Hebrew
- comprehend root words and be able to recognize and translate different conjugations of root words.
- break down and translate a פםוק.
- develop proficiency reading commentaries including the ability to:
- identify the question, answer, and supporting evidence from within a commentary.
- bridge the commentary back into the text to enhance understanding.
- compare and contrast different commentaries
Scope and Sequence:
Unit 1: Bamidbar
- Uniqueness of Shevet Levi
- Moshe’s talmidim
- Numbering the Sons of Levi
- Bad Neighbors/Good Neighbors
Unit 2: Naso
- Birkas Kohanim
Unit 3: Behaaloscha
- Chovav and the Aron’s Travels
- The Complainers
- Kivros Hata’ava
- Loshon Hora about Moshe
Unit 4: Korach
- The uprising and Related Topics
Unit 5: Chukas
- Miriam;s Death and Mai Meriva
- Aharon’s Death
- Copper Snake
Unit 6: Balak
- Bilam and Balak
- Sin in Shitim
- Students will be tested with a written assessment approximately twice a month on the content they have learned.
- Students will be quizzed daily with translation review assessments
- Students will have oral midterm and final. It will be a skill based review of key commentaries learned throughout the semester.